Tuesday 31 March 2009

Plaice Places

My blog has taken a back seat recently as my laptop was stolen and I have had to rebuild my on-line life (that sounds very sad but it is the way we live today). All back to normal now, and time for a quick comment on plaice. We have had one of the best early season plaice catches from The Blocks in a few years, both in size and numbers. Not all will agree, and I am convinced that is because plaice feed in very localised areas. The trouble with The Blocks is that the seabed is almost flat so it is difficult to find a mark with the fishfinder. Plaice feed here on shellfish, and somehow manage to crunch with their mouths shells that are so tough we would have to break them with a hammer. These shellfish live in patches, and if you are lucky enough to find a patch you could catch up to ten a session. Miss a patch and you will just as likely blank. Beads, sequins and jangly stuff all work but it is not essential, my personal best was a plaice of 3lb 9oz on a plain rig intended to find a stray bass. Top fish I heard of was a 4lb 6oz caught by Ada on Arron's boat Aquaholic - see picture

No comments: