Monday 21 April 2008

Hot Fuzz at Beaulieu Boat Jumble

Sunday 27th April is the date for the South's biggest boat jumble - almost a one-day boat show in some respects. Although the Beaulieu Boatjumble is a hefty £8 to get in, that does include the rest of the estate so you can blag it as a "family day out" if the FPO objects. I'm not advertising this event, just telling you about it because the Trunk Traders section, which is very like a boot sale, had some fabulous bargains last year. I had my own patch there to sell my book, Fish Seeker diving vanes and a load of boat bits. The photo on the left is nicked from their web site (if they object, sorry, I'll take this free advert off-line!). This year I'll be going to browse, not sell, unless the weather tempts me to go fishing instead.

But I must share with you one of the funniest things I saw all year. While I was quietly tending my stall, I saw two of Hampshire's Finest coming up the field - perfectly cast for the movie Hot Fuzz. One was very ordinary looking, the other - get this - has a black baseball cap; shades; exposed tanned muscly arms; stab vest; every possible piece of police equipment attached to parts of his body, and combat trousers tucked into his boots. This pair were a sight in themselves, but what they were doing topped everything. They were checking tax disks on white vans. Surely this must be considered one of the most dangerous aspects of police work in rural Hampshire.

See you there. My tax disk is bang up to date.

No comments: