Saturday 14 June 2008

Mackerel aren't always easy

Thanks to Scott at One Degree West, Salar is now back up and running after the burst oil pipe was located and replaced. I took her out on Friday on a long cruise around just to make sure the engine was running OK. First stop was at Horse Sand Fort to catch mackerel for bait (and if the rest of the day was a blank, at least I could say I caught some mackerel). Trouble is, after an hour drifting and feathering, only three of these oh-so-easy mackerel were in the cool box.

Then I remembered my own advice from last year - mini lures. I had made a string or two of miniature mackerel tinsel lures tied to 20lb line which worked well when the mackerel were being choosy, but had forgotten about them. I found a set, tied them on and within two minutes had a take, then a full string. Ten minutes later I had enough bait for the day. I even caught more with the rod dangling over the side while I was baiting up later on. Is any more proof needed that sometimes those mini lures work better than standard mackerel feathers and lures? There is a section on my web site called "Catch More Mackerel" describing how to make them (for little more than the cost of the hooks).

No comments: