Sunday 28 September 2008

Trigger Happy and Trigger Happy

There I was on Sunday, quietly drifting down on a flock of feeding birds, spinning for mackerel with maybe a chance of a bass if I'm quiet. Then this boatload of anglers roars up, without a glance in my direction, right between me and where I was spinning. My response was reasonably restrained in the circumstances - "Hey, do you mind??" Now if that had been a yottie, he would have said "Gosh I say, terribly sorry old chap, didn't realise...etc". But they weren't yotties, they were anglers of a less genteel nature and all I got back was "well we're all after mackerel aint we?" There is a point beyond which is is unwise to push Salar. I gave him at least three lungfulls (I can remember drawing breath twice) of the language reserved this this special sort of occasion.


On to happier matters, I was delighted to catch my first trigger fish today, of good eating size so he's now in the fridge. They are the weirdest creatures: thick skin like a wrasse, a stomach that goes up into the body instead of along like other fish, a gill opening more like an ear-hole and teeth like one of the more undesirable monsters on my son's computer games. I have it on good authority they are very tasty. I will let you know.



No comments: