Monday 8 December 2008

December Bass

I was going to post a report on my fishing trip last Sunday but my single cod was dwarfed by a 33lb 10oz monster caught on another boat on the same day - have a look at my Catch Reports page for a very impressive photo!


It was a great day: calm sea, sunshine and plenty of fish. What more could you ask for - in December of all months? I had a strange experience coming back in when I ran into a huge flock of seabirds spread over about a quarter of a square mile of sea about four miles offshore. I would expect that in smaller doses in summer when they hang around over mackerel shoals, but what were they doing in December? I stopped the engine and drifted quietly. Soon I noticed spiky fins cutting the glassy smooth surface of the sea, and looking down I could clearly see groups of panicking sprats. Bass, traditionally a summer fish, had met sprats, traditionally winter fish, right there in Hayling bay and they must have thought it was Christmas. Bass were hunting in their hundreds - thousands even.


I flicked out a small sprat-like lure which was immediately jumped on by a schoolie but then another strange thing happened: as I reeled it in I saw it was being followed by about ten of its brothers, keen to get in on whatever action was going. I popped him back and flicked out again, this time letting the lure sink further in the hope I might find larger fish and sure enough the next one was a plump two pounder. I changed up to a larger surface popper and spent the next half hour catching bass after bass as they lunged for my plug in great splashy takes. I could even see the fins homing in on the lure as they cut through the surface film. Tremendous fun and a great end to one of the best days fishing I have had this year. It is also encouraging to see so many small bass, let's hope they have a chance to grow bigger.

No comments: