Monday 5 May 2008

On Tow

It had to happen sooner or later: my Mercuiser diesel hasn't missed a beat for four years. On Sunday morning however, cruising towards The Hounds the engine note suddenly changed, the lights came on and the buzzer screamed. Oo-er. Remembering the drill, I switched off the engine, had a good look round to see if I was in a navigation channel or near some pots: neither, and there was only 25 feet of water so the anchor went down while I worked out what to do next. When I looked under the engine casing a very mucky sight awaited me - about a gallon of black engine oil was spread over everything. Fishing was off then.


I am a member of SeaStart (an AA of the sea, and I recommend them to anyone who goes out in a boat with an engine). Like the AA, they will try and fix the problem but if that is not possible, they will tow you home. I called SeaStart on the mobile as I was only a mile from Chichester Bar, exchanged details, and 20 minutes later they phoned back with an ETA for the rescue boat. Another 20 minutes later and Hayling Rescue, an 8 metre RIB was alongside. Now that's better than the AA. Without another gallon of oil on board there was not a lot he could do, so we had a text-book tow back to Southsea Marina. It was so textbook, I have put that section from "Angling Boats" on the Hints and Tips section of the web site - complete with pictures. Full marks to Seastart, let's hope Scott Doble from 1 Deg. West Marine doesn't mind getting his hands dirty when he goes under the casing - it's not a job I could even contemplate!

This distraction is a great pity, because I wanted to post a review of the fabulous new Garmin GPSMap 4008. It will have to wait. I can tell you though, Peter Gander has a cracking new t-shirt design in the shop - with special appeal for Merry Fisher owners!


No comments: